Sunday

features



I just came across this image from an article about the problems old people face every day, the article itself wasn't very interesting but this image struck me. Unfortunately I couldn't find the original source but I absolutely love the way the features in his face grab your attention. Talking to Stephen in my portfolio review at the beginning of the term we had a conversation about 'the gaze' and discovered that, whether I meant to or not, the eyes and gaze were always key in my portraits. The expression in my photographs and paintings are always the most important thing to me, I want the audience to look at the image and feel something, or be told something, about the person shown. The fact that the man in this image looks confused and quizzical makes you immediately question the story behind the image and even his past.

When I find an image like this I'm desperate to know more and it really annoys me when I have to guess and can't find out the reason behind the image. I think it will definitely be important to have descriptions next to whatever I present as my final piece as not having an artist's statement was something that let down our final exhibition last year. I'll need to try and get a balance between leaving the audience completely bemused and spoon feeding them with facts.

No comments:

Post a Comment